There are so many cases of Asbestos in Alaska. Asbestos is known to naturally occurs in most of the Alaskan mineral deposits. With this, many workers find themselves at risk, which later leads to mesothelioma. Without the right medication, such cases lead to many health complications such as lung cancer or even loss of life. Anyone who discovers they are suffering from mesothelioma has a high chance of receiving an award worth millions of dollars. However, any advice on how to pursue such cases is better given by an experienced mesothelioma lawyer. Having a list of questions to ask when hiring such a lawyer would help choose the best.
What Questions Should I Ask A Mesothelioma Lawyer?
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you need to act very fast to look for an experienced mesothelioma lawyer. Such cases are tough to handle alone and require one to consider looking for Anchorage law firms where one can get a good lawyer. For any mesothelioma case, the lawyer will first determine whether there is an evaluation of your medical history and the extent of asbestos exposure. With this, the lawyer can determine the strength of your case. But, to get the best lawyer, you have to be equipped with a few important questions to ask. They include:
- Have you ever handled an asbestosis case? Any asbestosis lawyer will probably have handled so many mesothelioma cases. This is because mesothelioma stems from asbestosis exposure.
- Can you represent me if my case occurred in a different state? And will I need to travel?
- How much do you charge? In most cases, mesothelioma cases are handled on a contingency basis. Meaning, you don’t have to incur any upfront payment before any settlement or court judgment. Once you have received your award, your lawyer takes a percentage of the amount recovered. It’s always a good idea to understand how your lawyer comes up with their figure. In such a case, you need to ask how the costs are likely to be or what circumstances may lead to the percentage going up.
- How long do I have to sue? Or what factors may affect the duration of my case? Mesothelioma takes time to develop after one has been exposed to asbestos. By the time the symptoms are being discovered, the disease may have taken roots in the body. Your lawyer should be conversant with the statute of limitations for asbestos cases and any other factor that could delays recovery.
- How much will I receive? An experienced mesothelioma lawyer will probably be reluctant to give details on how much your case is worth. The reason being, any mesothelioma settlement depends on many factors. Some of them include the seriousness of your disease and the defendant’s financial position, among others. You should be open to ask who you will be claiming against and whether they have filed for bankruptcy.
Make sure you are aware of any other person from the law firm you will deal with within the course of your case. You may also find it worth to ask what is required of you as a plaintiff. With clear answers to the above, you can be sure of what to expect for your potential case. Such questions help you understand how much your lawyer is experienced in handling mesothelioma cases.
What To Expect For Your Mesothelioma Case
A good lawyer is key to your case success. Having understood what you need and how to hire the right lawyer means that you have a good chance to recover damages. The damages will either come from:
- Your employer
- Asbestos manufacturer
- The company that installed the asbestos or
- An asbestos victims’ trust fund
If a mesothelioma victim succumbed to death, the surviving spouse, children, or parents of the deceased or even a personal representative appointed by the court could file an asbestos wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages. An asbestos wrongful death lawsuit can be very complicated since the victim dies with all the information. It’s important to note that most mesothelioma cases settle even before a court trial takes place. For the recovery, you can be assured of getting both economic and non-economic damages. However, to get such, you have to prove that the defendant was liable for your asbestos exposure. The amount to receive is mostly calculated based on the disease, product identification, or work history. If your lawyer thinks damages offered are not enough, they work their way out to negotiate a better settlement.
Do You Have A Mesothelioma Case?
If you have been exposed to Mesothelioma, don’t hesitate to speak to an experienced Mesothelioma lawyer. Successful cases force the defendant to pay awards worth millions of dollars. Your Alaska Mesothelioma lawyer will review your case to determine whether you’re eligible for a lawsuit. He/she will make the right decisions on whether to settle or go to trial.