Following an application cycle that spanned a total of 10 weeks, NSFAS has announced that they will now be processing application appeals.
The 2022 application cycle for student funding through the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) recently closed on Friday last week.
If you have applied and have had your student funding application declined, you still have the option to lodge an appeal on your application. According to a statement released to higher learning institutions throughout the country, NSFAS appeals are now open will close on 23 February 2022.
NSFAS further stated that it has now been enhanced to enable more direct interaction with students during the appeals process. This feature was initially available to first-time applicants and has now been extended to returning students.
In order to appeal your NSFAS application, you must the NSFAS website, www.nsfas.org.za, and download a NSFAS appeal form.
Print out and fill out the form by hand. The form should be accompanied by a letter requesting the board to reconsider their decision not to give you financial aid.
Table of Contents
Submit your appeal online by following the steps listed below:
- Log into your “MyNSFAS” account on www.nsfas.org.za
- Click the ‘Track Funding Progress‘ option
- Check the application progress tabs
- If your application status reflects an unsuccessful message, you may submit an appeal by clicking on the ‘Submit Appeal Tab‘
- Once you are on the ‘Application Appeal‘ page, you can see the reason for your unsuccessful application status
- You are then able to motivate in writing the reasons for appealing your application status
- Your motivation must not exceed 1000 characters (words including spaces)
- Then upload certified supporting documents to support your motivation. You may submit up to 5 documents.
- Then click ‘Submit Appeal ‘
- You may now track the progress of the appeal on your myNSFAS account.
It is also important to submit your appeal early to ensure that any additional documents required can be submitted on time. Additionally, appeals with outstanding documents will be left open for 14 days, after which they will automatically be closed if the required documents are not provided.
How long does NSFAS appeal take?
it should take at most 30 days for NSFAS to respond to appeals. However, NSFAS may respond faster if there’s enough information that are accurate and NSFAS can evaluate and verify faster and easily. Again it should not take more than one month for NSFAS to respond to your application for appeal for funding.
How to Write NSFAS Appeal Letter
Go to the NSFAS website, www.nsfas.org.za, and download an NSFAS appeal form. You must then print out and fill the form by hand.
Please fill this form in all capitals.
The form should be accompanied by a letter requesting the board to reconsider their decision not to give you financial aid. This form can be handwritten.
The form should then be submitted to the Financial Aid Office at your institution.
Who qualifies for NSFAS appeal?
Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per year. Persons with disabilities combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per year. Students who started studying before 2018 and whose household income is not more than R122 000 per year