Nothing feels more special than the feeling that you get when you climb into your bed and treat your skin to the soft and comfortable feeling that Egyptian cotton bed sheets provide. When you lay in your bed, you get the feeling that every inch and pore of your skin is getting a massage.
But do you know what makes these Egyptian bed sheets so special? Let us take a closer look at the background of the Egyptian cotton sheets.
What is Egyptian Cotton?
As the name suggests, this type of cotton is grown and sourced only in Egypt, that is not the case. When looking for Egyptian bed sheets, you will be surprised that Egypt is one of the least producers of this type of cotton.
With this in mind, can you tell the difference between Egyptian cotton and regular cotton?
It is very difficult to whether the cotton sheets you purchased are truly from Egypt or not. However, there are a few ways that can help you determine the true quality of Egyptian cotton.
Here are a few points you need to consider while Egyptian cotton sheets:
- Consider the type of fabric you are getting.
- Thread count is one of the most important factors.
- The last thing is the budget, it plays an important role in whether you get the original Egyptian cotton or not.
Why is Thread Count so Important?
The reason why thread count is so important is that it determines how comfortable and soft the sheet feel to your skin. The higher the thread count, the more soft and luxurious the sheet will be. The thread count tells you how many threads are woven every sq. in of the fabric.
Egyptian sheet thread count is well in the thousand. Although, many people claim that there is a difference in the feeling you get in 600 thread count sheets and 1500 thread count sheets.
Things to remember while buying Egyptian cotton sheets:
- If the cost of the sheet sounds too good to be, there are chances the cotton is not real Egyptian cotton. True Egyptian cotton sheets are not cheap.
- Many companies try to mix low-quality threads with superior quality threads to save cost but sell with a label of Egyptian cotton. So, make sure you check the sheets properly before buying.
- Do not buy sheets from a store that has a bad reputation. Always do a proper background check on the store before making any purchase.
Regular cotton vs Egyptian Cotton?
- Egyptian cotton fibers are long, while the fiber of regular cotton is short.
- Regular cotton has a lot of interruptions, whereas Egyptian cotton has very less interruptions thanks to the superior quality and long length of the thread.
- Regular cotton has a thread count between 120 to 180 per sq. in. While Egyptian cotton has a minimum thread count of 400 and goes all the way to 1500 per sq. in
Why you should invest in Egyptian cotton sheets?
- The high thread count makes you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud. The sheet feels soft, comfortable, and luxurious to your skin.
- They are highly durable because they are woven very tightly. This means you save a lot of money in the long run.
- The sheet also wicks sweat, allowing you to remain cool while you sleep.
How to care for and maintain Egyptian cotton sheets?
Maintain Egyptian cotton sheets is not hard, all you have to do is follow these steps to prolong the life of the sheets.
- Launder sheets once every week to prevent any buildup of body fluids and dead skin.
- Do not wash these sheets with towels or other clothes. Launder the sheets on their own so that they don’t become tangled with other items.
- Use gentle detergents to wash Egyptian cotton sheets. Also, never use bleach while washing these sheets.
- Avoid using fabric softener as the chemicals can clog up the pores of the cotton.
- Only use cold or lukewarm water while washing Egyptian cotton sheets. Hot water can spoil the fabric of the sheet.
Tips on how to find the best Egyptian sheets:
- Single Ply Sheets: This type of sheet is woven using a single thread of long cotton fiber. This makes a sheet soft and highly durable.
- Fiber length: Since the fiber of Egyptian cotton is longer, always choose these sheets for regular cotton. Yes, Egyptian cotton is expensive, but it saves a lot of money in the long run.
- Thread count: Always pick a sheet that high thread count. The higher the thread count the softer and comfortable the sheet feels to the skin.
So, here is the complete guide on how to choose and buy the best quality Egyptian cotton bed sheets.