ERRATUM: Applicants are hereby notified that the correct title is Director: Quality Management and not Quality Assurance as per the advert that appeared in the Sunday Times of 06 April 2014. Also please note changes with regard to minimum requirements and recommendations below. The closing date for this advert has been extended to 25 April 2014.
The purpose of this position is to provide strategic leadership, advice and expertise on CPUT quality assurance and quality improvement policies and procedures. To lead the quality management and improvement team and to ensure a responsive and high quality service to both internal stakeholders and internal stakeholders and to ensure that Quality Management Department processes and procedures serve the mission, strategic plan and operational needs of the Institution.
- A relevant Master’s degree
- 10 years’ experience managing quality assurance at a strategic level in a higher education environment.
- The incumbent must be able to build and maintain constructive relationships with a range of colleagues in different areas within the organisation
- Substantial experience of academic quality management/administration
- Experience of servicing academic committees.
- Doctoral qualification would serve as a strong recommendation with 5 years’ experience managing quality assurance in a professional capacity in a higher education environment.
- To lead, develop and to take responsibility for planning and preparation and co-ordination of the processes related to external reviews and audits and act as a main institutional facilitator.
- To develop and maintain professional links with the Department of Higher Education and Training, the Higher Education Quality Committee, other tertiary institutions and relevant professional statutory bodies acting as institutional contact point as required.
- To take a proactive role in formulating the CPUT Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement Policies and Practices and their implementation and monitoring across the Institution, and where appropriate, in collaboration with other stakeholders.
- To develop structures and processes to serve as operating framework and model within which quality assurance programmes can be rolled out.
- To oversee the university response to and ensure implementation of the Department of Higher Education and Training and professional body review and audit requirements.
- To act as principal institutional source of advice and guidance concerning academic regulations, quality assurance and improvement policy, procedures and processes and recommends and manages updates.
- To work with executive management of the institution, deans of faculties and directors to facilitate and maximize engagement with the quality assurance and improvement plan, with specific attention to any introduction of new programmes.
- To provide professional support from the quality team and exercise oversight of the quality assurance and improvement activities of faculties and institutions academic collaborative/partnerships.
- To identify and develop key performance indicators of institutional excellence, and over-all standards of the CPUT.
- To advise and monitor quality assurance requirements for research degree provision.
- To chair and participate in working groups and committees, validation and review events as required.
- To participate in internal and external networks, representing the university as required.
- To coordinate and support bench-marking activities at the institution.
- To coordinate and support quality assurance surveys where required.
- To manage the resources of the institution allocated to the department, including drawing up the budget and managing the expenditure of the department.
- To manage staff performance to ensure that the service of the department is of the highest level. To manage discipline and conflicts to ensure that a positive image of the department is upheld at all times.
- Leadership skills
- Specialist knowledge and experience relating to higher education administration and quality.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent ability to organise projects
- Ability to communicate complex information in an effective, concise and tactful manner, both orally and in writing.
- Experience in writing substantial reports,
- Ability to analyse national policy developments
- Ability to manage budgets and allocate resources to meet priorities
- Ability to manage staff effectively
- Ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information
Enquiries about the application process please contact HR at 021 460 3337
Closing date: 25 April 2014
How to Apply