Students are reminded that NSFAS does not have a timeframe when it comes to when their application status will change and how long it takes for applications to be processed.
The application status may be monitored via the student’s myNSFAS account.
NSFAS funds students who hope to study at one of South Africa’s 25 public universities or 50 TVET Colleges, however, may not have the means to do so. These students receive the following allowances:
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution): R7 500 per year.
- Living allowance: R15 000 per year.
- Book allowances: R5 200 per year.
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2900 per year for students in catered residences.
TVET College Allowances:
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution): R7,350 per annum.
- Transport: R7000 per annum.
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2900 per annum.
These amounts may change slightly depending on the NSFAS bursary budget.
Students who receive their allowances via the NSFAS wallet system may set up their account by following steps:
Here is how to start your NSFAS Wallet:
- You will receive an SMS welcoming you to the NSFAS Wallet.
- Once you receive an SMS, open it and verify your account by dialling *134*176# and replying with your ID number.
- You will then receive a password that you will use when transacting. Note that you need to keep this password secure at all times!
- Do not keep or save your password on your cell phone and always keep your cell phone’s screen locked with a password or pin.