Year Beyond is a partnership between the Western Cape Government and numerous NGOs aimed at improving educational outcomes and encouraging a culture of volunteerism.
The Year Beyond programme is a 10 month volunteer tutor programme which begins in February 2018 and ends in November 2018. While on the programme you will be placed in a school as a tutor in their afterschool programme. As a volunteer tutor you will offer literacy, numeracy and homework support, you will also participate in a self-development and leadership programme.
Volunteering with Year Beyond is a full-time, five day a week commitment, and volunteers are busy from 9am to 5pm every day. They complete their self-development programme in the mornings, and are transported to their school in the afternoon to run the after-school education support and learner development programme.
The Year beyond volunteer leadership and self-development programme has three core pillars:
- A series of three short courses offered by the Frederick Van Zyl Slabbert Institute at Stellenbosch University.
- An Innovation Challenge judged by a prestigious panel of political and industry leaders.
- A unique self-development programme designed and facilitated by Action Volunteers Africa.
What do you need to apply?
- You need to be between the ages of 18 and 25
- You need to have matric or be a recent graduate
- You need to have good English and mathematics matric marks (minimum requirements: 60% for English, 50% for Mathematics and 60% for Maths Literacy)
- You need to be keen to work with children and compassionate.