Closing Date: 16 November 2014
The National Metrology Institute of South Africa (NMISA) invites applications for Internships: Photometry and Radiometry (Twelve month contract)
Salary: R 5 445.00 – R 7 260.00 per month
Purpose of the Internship
To participate in the research, development and realisation of the national measurement standards for spectral emission properties of light source, and illuminance and luminance responsivity calibrations.
- BSc Hons degree (Experimental Physics)
- Theoretical knowledge of the following subjects/fields in physics: (Geometricaloptics, Photonics & Opticalspectroscopy)
- Computer literacy: MS Word and MS Excel.
- Experience of programming/mathematical modelling (e.g. using Python, C++ or Matlab) is required.
- Experience in automation of equipment would be an added advantage.
Duties and Responsibiities
Assisting with the following:
- Research and develop new calibration techniques
- Technical design and development of custom-made, fit for purpose systems
- including characterisation and automation
- Calibration of instruments
- Measurement and analysis of data
- Technical reports writing
- Design and analysis of uncertainty budgets
- Develop, write and adapt procedures
- Maintenance of and adherence to the laboratory quality system and good laboratory practice in accordance with ISO 17025
- The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities and competencies:
- Proactively creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities
- Using newly gained knowledge and skills on the job and learning through their application.
- Maximizing learning through active participation by, for example, taking notes and asking questions
- Strong attention to detail when performing work tasks to avoid errors
- Analytical/systematic/methodical approach to work
- Compliant in order to follow set organisational and laboratory rules such as policies and procedures
- Good reasoning ability for problem solving and independent learning
- A helpful attitude with a willingness to assist customers and colleagues (A team player)
- Honesty and ethical behaviour is of the utmost importance when delivering on assigned tasks within the NMISA
The NMISA subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates who meet the requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation.
How to apply
Interested and suitably qualified persons may forward a comprehensive CV and scanned copies of qualifications as well as ID to
Email : [email protected] or
fax 086 266 5529.
Clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only.
By applying for this position at the NMISA, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the NMISA may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or the SAP in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entails the handling of cash or finances and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history