I am a qualified and professional music teacher with a high level of experience and willing to share my passion for all things musical. Well acquainted with the South Africa syllabus, I hold a strong belief that music can change lives for the better. I seek to equip students with the performance, composition and theoretical skills that will see them excel no matter which path they take in music. An engaged and determined teacher, I thrive teaching both one-on-one and in group scenarios.
Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Teaching
University of Cape Town
High School Certificate
South Africa, Bellville
Bellville High School
November 2009 – Present
Casual Teacher, Cape High School (Years 7-10)
Tonedeaf High School (Years 7-10)
Cape Town Performing Arts (Years 11-12)
South Africa, Cape Town
- Teach prescribed music syllabus, including musical concepts and performance, composition and sight reading and listening skills, in context of style and genre.
- Conduct assessment in both written form and performance, including aural examination.
- Instruct in the use of a range of instruments, encompassing string, woodwind, brass, percussion, keyboard and electronic instruments.
- Demonstrate commitment to the principles and practices of OHS and equal opportunity.
- Received Teacher of the Month in October 2010 at Cape Town Music.
- Taught the majority of Cape Town Music Band 6 HSC music students.
January 2006 – November 2009
Private Music Tutor
- Provided one-on-one and group (up to 6 at a time) tuition.
- Delivered instrumental and aural analysis tuition.
- Taught students to read notation, tab and chord charts.
- Trained students in performance, improvisation and composition.
- Conducted classes on five afternoons per week, often with student load of 20 or more.
- Worked towards and oversaw student performances at numerous local events.
- Conducted ‘Music for the unmusical: finding music in unexpected places’ workshops at the Newcastle Musica! Festival. Based on the idea that you don’t need a formal instrument to make music, these workshops were very popular with children, as well as parents who wanted to connect musically with their kids.
- Received recognition from local council for commitment to community music development.
Music teacher’s accreditation, The Music Teacher’s Association of South Africa
Basic First Aid Certificate, ER24 Ambulance, 2012
Driver’s licence class C
I play in two bands that perform regularly. The first, The Royal Tenor-bombs, is an East Coast style swing band. The second, Century City and the Cape Town, is a funk band reminiscent of Sly and the Family Stone.