Mauritius- Africa Scholarship Scheme 2018 – International Scholarships
As part of a commitment to promote capacity-building at a high level across the continent, the Government of Mauritius is awarding scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries for full-time, on-campus undergraduate programmes tenable in public higher education institutions (HEIs) in Mauritius.
The Department of Higher Education and Training is responsible for the nomination of South Africans for this scholarship. The below information is for South African applicants only. Applicants from other countries should contact their government or local representative of the Government of Mauritius for information on how they can apply.
Bachelor’s (5 scholarships)
The application process will close on 16 March 2018. No late applications will be considered.
Who can apply?
- South African citizens in good health and with a strong academic record;
- Must have a National Senior Certificate with a Bachelor’s pass and a minimum of 65% average mark achieved (excluding Life Orientation subject);
- Be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday at the closing date of application;
- Have already applied for full-time on-campus undergraduate studies at any public higher education institution in Mauritius for the academic year starting in 2018;
- Have an interest in studying in Mauritius and demonstrate a commitment to the development of South Africa;
- Be available to study in Mauritius from August 2018;
- Meet the entry criteria for their selected programme in Mauritius;
- Meet the minimum academic requirements for entry into a similar programme at a South African university.
Fields of Study for South African Applicants
Bachelors: All fields of study available at the participating Mauritian Public Tertiary Education Institutions. Studies in Medicine are excluded and will not be considered.
What the scholarship offers
- Tuition fees and course-related costs of up to MUR 100 000;
- Monthly living allowance to the value of MUR 8 300;
- Reimbursement of air fare to travel to and from Mauritius (successful applicants will have to book and pay for their own travel to Mauritius up front).
Successful applicants are expected to cover any additional costs not covered by the scholarship. No funding will be provided by the DHET.
Application to university in Mauritius
All applicants for the scholarship must have already applied for at least one full-time on-campus programme at a public HEI of their choice in Mauritius .This application must be made as soon as the HEIs have opened their application windows on their respective websites as listed below:
|Institution||Tentative application period||Website|
|University of Mauritius||Mid Jan 2018||Mid Feb 2018||www.uom.ac.mu|
|University of Technology, Mauritius||Mid May 2018||Mid June 2018||www.utm.ac.mu|
|Université des Mascareignes||End Jan 2018||End May 2018||www.udm.ac.mu|
|Fashion and Design Institute||Feb 2018||March 2018||www.fdi.mu|
|Mauritius Institute of Education||March 2018||April 2018||www.mie.ac.mu|
|Mahatma Gandhi Institute||Mid Jan 2018||Mid Feb 2018||www.mgirti.ac.mu|
|Rabindranath Tagore Institute||Mid Jan 2018||Mid Feb 2018||www.mgirti.ac.mu|
Application process for South African Applicants
There are three stages in the application process for South African applicants:
1. Complete the DHET application form, available to download here and email it to [email protected] no later than 16 March 2018, together with:
– A certified copy of your National Senior Certificate (or equivalent)
– Certified copy of your ID.
Applications will be assessed and a maximum of 15 applicants will be shortlisted.
2. Shortlisted applicants will be notified by 23 March that they need to submit the completed Mauritius-Africa Scholarship Application Form and additional supporting documents. This must be submitted by email to [email protected], no later than 30 March 2018. Please only submit this form and supporting documents to the DHET if requested to do so.
Mauritius-Africa Scholarship application form, available to download here and certified copies of the following documents:
– Birth certificate;
– Copy of biodata page of passport;
– Copy of letter of conditional offer from a public higher education institution in Mauritius OR a copy of acknowledgement of application from the HEI;
– There is no need to complete the medical certificate form at this stage (Section 6 of the application form). It will be requested from nominated candidates only.
Nominated applicants will be informed by 6 April and will be required to submit a medical certificate, completed and stamped by a Registered Medical Practitioner in Section 6 of the Mauritius-Africa Scholarship application form by 11 April 2018.
Nominated applicants will be reviewed by the Mauritian Government and a final decision will be taken by them. Successful candidates will be contacted directly.
Please email enquiries to email: [email protected]. All applications received by the DHET will be acknowledged by email within 2 working days. Please follow up if you do not receive an email acknowledgement.
Documents and links