The Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) KAIST was established in 1971 to model a research-focused university and to foster elite human resources in science and technology needed by Korea.
The KAIST Scholarship is offering scholarship opportunities to South African students to study towards a postgraduate qualification at KAIST. The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) is responsible for nominations from South Africa.
Application deadline is 13 April 2018. No applications after the deadline will be considered.
Who can apply?
- • South African citizens in good health with a strong academic record;
- • Must have university entrance into a similar postgraduate programme at a public South African University;
- • Master’s applicants must have a four-year qualification equivalent to an NQF level 8 and achieved an overall minimum average of 65%;
- • PhD applicants must have a Master’s degree and must have achieved an overall minimum average of 65%;
- • Available to study in Korea from September 2018;
- • Must have applied for the study programme at KAIST on a full-time basis;
- • Intend to return to South Africa at the end of your studies.
Fields of Study
- Science, Engineering and Technology.
What the scholarship offers
- The KAIST Scholarship covers the following:
- Full tuition fee: tuition exemption for 4 semesters (M.S. degree) / 8 semesters (Ph.D. degree)
- Living expenses: 300,000 KRW per month
- Medical insurance
Please visit the KAIST website for more information. No additional funding is available from the Department of Higher Education and Training.
The application process is two-fold:
- Completed application form
- Transcript of highest qualification
- Copy of ID
- Proof of online KAIST application
2. Submit KAIST application online at http://admission.kaist.ac.kr/international/?page_id=1152
The DHET is responsible for nominations for the scholarship only, for queries about your application to be nominated for the scholarship, send an email to [email protected]
For queries about the scholarship itself or the programme of study, contact the KAIST Admissions Office:
Dean of Admissions Office: Prof Hayong Shin
Undergraduate Programme: Ms Gahyun Son
Documents and links
•DHET Application Form
• KAIST website
• KAIST application link: http://admission.kaist.ac.kr/international/?page_id=1152
• KAIST Admissions Briefing and Embassy Recommendation Program information document