Wits University is looking for a Parking Controller to join its Campus Control department.
Purpose: To operate University parking areas as instructed, ensuring that legitimate traffic is admitted to parking areas; to make rapid value judgements on the merits of requests for vehicle admission to parking areas and ensure that all tasks related to the job are carried out.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- To control access and departure of vehicles at a parking station, making value judgements on which unauthorized vehicles should be admitted and which should be turned away, ensuring that those admitted are parked efficiently and that they are not removed by unauthorised persons
- To deal correctly, courteously and circumspectly with visitors, staff and students.
- To patrol parking areas when required to do so to safeguard parked vehicles against theft or damage
- To serve as a front line counsellor to visitors, directing them to appropriate venues or to the information kiosk in Senate House and issuing disposable Campus maps for guidance.
- To undertake overtime as and when the need arises
- To acquaint him/herself with the University’s Parking Rules and the type, form and validity of current parking permits.
- To “ticket” without fear or favour, vehicles infringing the University’s Parking Rules.
- To undertake such other duties as, from time to time the Supervisor may prescribe.
- A sound command of the English language, including idiomatic English.
- Patience and understanding when dealing with attempts to by-pass University Parking Rules
- An understanding of student machinations designed to secure vehicles access to areas which are “out of bounds”
How to apply
Applications close on 09 April 2015.