The University of Cape Town has an Media Internship within the Media Communication & Marketing Department. This is a one-year internship position to provide support services to UCT’s media liaison team, as described below. Working hours can be full-time or flexible to suit the candidate’s courses if necessary.
The annual remuneration is between R97688 and R173 405.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences, majoring in Journalism, Media Studies, English or Sociology;
- Well-honed data management and research skills;
- Excellent command of the English language;
- Good organisational and analytical skills;
- More than competent in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Familiarity with current events and how they are presented in media;
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills;
- Literacy in a second SA language would be advantageous.
- Producing a daily media report;
- Management of FAQs and statistics;
- Updating and managing the media database;
- Online research of traditional and new media websites;
- Compiling briefing documents; archiving of completed work;
- Possibly some writing of news articles for internal media and press releases;
- answering incoming calls;
- Organising office stationery;
- Submitting invoices for prompt payment and maintaining collegial relationships with service providers; and
- Monitoring lectures and demonstrations on campus when necessary for media liaison support.
How to apply
The closing date is 18 March 2016. To apply, send CV (no more than 2 pages) and a writing sample of no more than 1000 words to Mr Elijah Moholola via email: [email protected]. Please ensure the title and reference number: (E60319) are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone number for enquiries about this position is 021 6505674