LexisNexis seeks a E-Learning Web Developer Intern in Johannesburg. Working with the Business Development & Academic teams, the post holder will be responsible for the development of new e-learning content to be hosted on LexisNexis South Africa’s BlackBoard-based Learning Management System (LMS) as well as maintaining and updating the current suite of modules in line with change requests.
This opportunity is suitable for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with demonstrable experience and skills in web content development, graphic design, copy-writing/editing and general site management.
The work demands attention to detail, excellent communication skills, a creative flair, up-to-date knowledge of industry best practice and a professional approach to delivering high quality outputs under aggressive deadlines.
- Content development & maintenance
- Provide technical advice & guidance to project sponsors at the start up stage of new e-learning projects, to advise on scope, feasibility and recommended options for delivering the technical aspects of the projects
- Using a range of technologies (primarily HTML5, CSS, Flash), work with content writers, instructional designers and educationalists to design and develop e-learning content modules to host on the LMS platform
- Create testing plans and undertake functional and user interface testing for new e-learning modules
- Debug, extend and reverse engineer code of existing e-learning modules to update content and fix bugs
- BlackBoard LMS maintenance and support
- Create testing plans and undertake functional and user interface testing for new LMS functionality
- Upload new/refreshed in-house and third party developed e-learning modules onto LMS, testing compatibility to ensure presentation and tracking is as expected, and acting as the communication link with external content providers and authors to resolve any issues which arise.
- Using web services, set-up and maintain interoperability links to allow third party LMS’s (such as those used by various University clients) to access modules hosted on LNSA’s platform
- Undertake periodic performance and vulnerability testing of LMS
- Design, implement and maintain links with various value-added BlackBoard modules (such as community/social/mobile functionality) to extend and enhance the value of LNSA’s overall solution
- The post holder may on occasion be required to work outside of normal office hours for essential LMS server maintenance and/or support during new product launches
- Relevant technical tertiary qualification
- Knowledge of working in a web-based software development team
- Some experience developing content for delivery via mobile platforms
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming
- Understanding of or experience in using system interfacing and integration technologies (APIs / web services / SOAP)
- Experience in working with online education projects and/or developing content for a Learning Management System will be an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of HTML/CSS (Including HTML 5)
- Good knowledge of and experience in some of the following graphic design programs – Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver or equivalent CorelDraw applications
- Knowledge of considerations when designing for web and mobile
- Familiarity with Content Management Systems and knowledge of platforms like WordPress, Drupal and Joomla
- Knowledge of web server technologies and IT infrastructures
Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to interact and communicate professionally with colleagues and clients at all levels adapting working styles to suit the circumstances in order to build and maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to resolve complex problems on own initiative