CIDA Development Trust Teaching Bursary / Scholarship Programme 2019
Closing Date: 18 June 2018
THE CIDA EMPOWERMENT TRUST (CIDA) is inviting applications from suitably qualifying candidates dedicated to a career in teaching Mathematics or Science to participate in the CIDA Teacher Development Internship Programme.
This innovative programme involves internship in a top Johannesburg private school (Roedean School SA or St John’s College), over the two-year period of the part-time Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) commencing in the 2019 Academic Year at the University of Johannesburg.
During the internship, deserving young candidates passionate about teaching will benefit from a dedicated mentor providing practical academic support and guidance, exposing interns to diverse teaching environments and best-practice teaching advice and methodologies.
Candidates will participate in a Leadership Development Programme for Teachers, with following key elements:
- Psychosocial support tailored to each participant;
- Training to promote Self-mastery and Life skills;
- Classroom Leadership and Effectiveness;
- Workplace Readiness for the school environment;
- Financial management; and
- Career mapping and Development for Teachers
Participants in the CIDA Teacher Development Internship Programme will receive full funding over the two–year period towards:
- Tuition fees for Part-time studies for the PGCE at the University of Johannesburg, including allowance for stationery, books and laptop;
- Student accommodation, transport and living expenses;
- Monthly stipend.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A dedication to teaching as a career;
- A strong academic transcript for undergraduate level studies in any of Mathematics, Life Sciences, or Biological studies;
- Effective communication skills; and
- Ability to lead and inspire others, demonstrated by personal experience within your own community.
Please take note that only applicants who fit the criteria below will be considered:
- Bursars must be black South African citizens;
- Bursars must be completing or have already completed studies towards Undergraduate or Postgraduate studies in Mathematics, Life Sciences, or Biological Sciences;
- The student must be willing to register for a part-time-PGCE with University of Johannesburg;
- Bursars must be committed to pursuing a teaching career specialising in Mathematics and Science Subjects at High School level.
Before You Begin…
Please ensure you have the following information ready to be uploaded with your application:
- A copy of a certified National Senior Certificate
- Certified copies of other qualifications if applicable
- Academic record/s
- A copy of your certified ID
- A written submission of not more than 500 words entitled Teaching
- A video recording not longer than 1min 30 seconds entitled About Me
This application will take you about 15-20 minutes. Ensure that you have a good stable internet connection to be able to upload your application and attachments. You can also use your mobile device for the completion of this application.
How To Apply
Apply Online for the CIDA Development Trust Teaching Bursary / Scholarship Programme