The process of conducting a standardized, objective virtual test to shortlist and select worthy candidates who are suitable for the job from all perspectives is known as pre employment testing. Many enterprises and organizations are changing their recruitment methods to main employment assessments as the main tool in the recruiting process.
There are many reasons for the pre employment assessments to become famous and replace the traditional methods of the recruiting process. Let us take a look at some of those.
- Enterprises can reduce the cost of hiring by around 70% by using pre employment assessments instead of traditional methods.
- The time taken to select an eligible candidate is reduced by 60%, thereby allowing enterprises to effectively use the time to increase production.
- The cost of a bad hire is around 30% of the employee’s first-year earnings. For every bad hire, this amount is a significant loss for the enterprise.
- Pre employment assessments are an effective and reliable way to understand the traits and abilities of a candidate. This allows enterprises to select an employee who is best suited for the job.
- Filtering and screening candidates from a large pool of applicants are easy using this method. There is no limit to the number of candidates who can take the test.
- The tests are conducted virtually. Candidates can take the test from their existing locations.
- No additional software needs to be downloaded nor do the candidates have to install any plug-ins or add-ins.
- The test forms are assessed based on pre-defined criteria. This eliminates the risk of human error and favoritism.
- The pre employment test forms can be customized as per the specifications of the job and the requirements of the enterprise.
- Enterprises can use any of the existing test forms or create new ones. The companies that provide the pre employment assessment tools have a vast database of test forms and subjects.
- Every enterprise is provided with a Test Advisor who will help the HR team to design a test form, conduct the test, evaluate and shortlist the eligible candidates.
- The companies provide round the clock technical support in using the test tool.
- Enterprises do not have to spend hours of their time reviewing each resume and conducting a background check of the candidates.
- The HR team can focus on the core aspects of the job while handling the testing process on the side.
- The test forms can be integrated into the HR systems of the enterprise, allowing the HR team to work on a single system.
- Different types of pre employment assessments can be conducted at different stages of recruiting. This depends on the decision of the enterprise.
- The test forms can be interactive and include real-time scenarios, audio and video files, and can be a mix of different types of tests.
Pre employment tests can be broadly classified into three categories- skill-based, aptitude-based, and personality tests. The type of test depends on the job and the nature of the business. While some enterprises like to create a single comprehensive test form, others like to focus only on the core requirements of the job.
- Skill-based Testing
- The basic skills required for the job are assessed in this test. Computer skills, data entry, accounting, designing, programming, etc. are some examples of this test.
- A skill-based test is usually conducted for entry-level jobs so that the enterprises can know to what extent the candidates can perform at the job.
- The companies that provide the pre employment test tools have subject and topic-based test forms which can be directly used by the enterprises.
- Aptitude Testing
- Traits such as problem-solving, critical thinking, ability to learn, adapt, and process new information, using intelligence or cognitive thinking abilities to make decisions, etc. are some of the factors that are tested using this test.
- Understanding the aptitude levels of a candidate based on resumes is almost impossible. Conducting an interactive test with open-ended questions will allow enterprises to get an idea about how a candidate thinks and handles a situation.
- Personality Testing
- Personality tests are quite popular in the industry. These tests are used to see if the candidate can work with other employees and become a part of the work environment in the enterprise.
- Handling tense situations, understanding the thoughts of a colleague or a team member, being able to work in teams, workplace behavior and bonding, reacting to customers’ queries and complaints, etc. are assessed using this test type.
It is important for enterprises to have realistic goals and expectations from the employment assessments. There are limitations to every type of test. Enterprises should carefully decide and finalize the test form to get maximum results.