Communications Internship at HEARD Careers 2018
Closing date for applications – Friday 20 April 2018
The Health Economics and HIV and AIDS Research Division (HEARD) based at the University of
KwaZulu-Natal is an academic research institute. Our mission is to influence and support evidence-based policy and good practice to more effectively address Africa’s health and development
challenges and to contribute to achieving health and sustainable development across the continent.
We work closely with global research partners, government institutions, regional media and academic
and civil communities.
The communications and digital media intern role is to assist and work under the guidance of the Marketing and Communication Officer in supporting HEARD’s strategic goals by raising
awareness and increasing visibility of HEARD’s research, educational initiatives and other strategic
activities to its regional and international audiences.
This year-long paid internship is an exciting opportunity for a passionate and driven design, marketing, and/or communications graduate to gain exposure to global health and development and rights-based research and to put training into practice by being directly involved with the day to day communications, marketing and content creation at HEARD.
Day to day activities include:
- Developing original news stories/blog posts, multimedia graphics, event reporting etc
- Working closely with researchers to develop content and stay updated with research activities
- Assisting with logistics and communications for events
- Assisting with the creation of multimedia posts for social media
- Supporting the creation and publication of email newsletters
- Proofing and editing of copy for various mediums (web, email, print, social)
- Drafting and editing of print and online copy
- Writing online content
- Design of marketing materials – agendas, name tags
- Assist with event logistics
- Help increase relevant national, regional and local media
- Assisting with compiling press releases
- Assist with building media contacts and relationships
- Assist with updates and maintains contact database for suppliers, vendors, partners and funders
- Assist with updates of research publications on the University system
- Recent qualification (Diploma/Degree) in communications/ graphic design/ digital marketing/
- journalism or similar
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and design tools
- A solid grasp of social media, email marketing and design, editing & writing content for the web in various formats.
- Working knowledge and experience of visual design tools
- Strong attention to detail and self-motivated
- An effective and professional communicator, both written and oral
- Passionate about digital communications and media
- Previous experience in content creation/design/marketing
- Previous experience in working in a research/nonprofit/ educational organisation
How to apply:
Submit a CV and portfolio/links to work related to writing, marketing, design, communications
etc. to [email protected].
Salary: This is a paid internship dependent on skills and experience
Duration: 12 months, fulltime
Location: University of KwaZulu-Natal, Westville Campus
Visit www.heard.org.za for more information