The Constitutional Court, Braamfontein invites applications from suitable candidates seeking appointment as law clerks for 2016. Each Justice of the Constitutional Court is assisted by two law clerks whose primary function is to carry out legal research for their respective Justice. Appointments are made for the periods January 2016 to December 2016 or July 2016 to June 2017 depending on each Justice’s requirements. Applicants should indicate the period for which they wish to be considered. Applications are considered by all Justices of the Court, and applicants should not specify a preference to work for a specific Justice.
The Office of the Chief Justice (Constitutional Court) seeks to ensure that the persons selected are broadly representative of the South African population in terms of race and gender.
The salary for these contract positions is R 270 804.00 per annum plus 37% in lieu of benefits. No other benefits are afforded.
- Applicants should be in possession of an LLB degree (or an equivalent or post-graduate degree) or in the final year of study for such degree and should display an interest in subjects relating to constitutional law.
- Academic excellence and research experience is recommended.
How to apply
Applications should include the following:
- (1) a cover letter;
- (2) a full curriculum vitae;
- (3) a certified ID copy;
- (4) certified copies of all academic records;
- (5) an example of written work between 6 – 12 pages in length, which demonstrates critical legal analysis and is written solely by the applicant; and
- (6) letters of recommendation from two referees, together with their names and contact details (including but not limited to email addresses).
Applications are to be submitted electronically to: E-mail: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is 31 March 2015. No applications will be accepted after this date.
A letter and/or email will be sent to each applicant upon receipt of his/her application. If an applicant does not receive an acknowledgment of receipt, he/she must contact the Office of the Chief Justice: Human Resources Department on 011 838 2010, attention Ms C Gideon. Applicants who are shortlisted for an interview will be notified by 15 May 2015. If you are not notified by that date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
ENQUIRIES” Ms Charmaine Gideon on 011 838 2010