The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation works with exceptional young people who have track records of overcoming adversity, and who show the potential to become leaders in their professional lives and communities. By offering comprehensive support to get students to and through university, we help our Young Leaders graduate and find meaningful employment in their chosen professions. At scale, this programme will serve 500 active university students across South Africa. The goal of the programme is ensure that 80% of students on the programme make it to graduation and 100% of graduates are placed in the world of work.The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of children living in urban poverty around the world.
Comprehensive Support and Career Training
Each academic year 100 Dell Young Leaders Bursary are selected across the University of Cape Town and University of Pretoria. Each Dell Young Leader receives financial support and wrap-around services that help to level the playing field for these first-generation university students. Students who are accepted into the programme begin university with seemingly insurmountable odds, but have a track record of overcoming adversity and leadership potential. After receiving individualized academic and psychosocial support as well as holistic work readiness training, graduates leave the programme ready to defy the odds, secure employment and position themselves for a lifetime of success.
The expectations of Dell Young Leaders are high, but the students will admit those lofty expectations push them to even greater achievements. In addition to attending classes as a full-time student, students in the programme participate in academic skills development workshops and extended learning classes designed to improve the on-the-job soft skills that employers in South Africa look for most. Areas of concentration include psycho-social support, career mentorship and work readiness training.
Future of South Africa
- Today’s Dell Young Leaders will contribute to South Africa’s overall economic development as the next generation of skilled professionals.
- To date, 365 Dell Young Leaders’ bursaries have been awarded.
- Among its first graduates in 2013, 100 percent have been placed at jobs at top-tier corporate firms or are continuing their studies.
- Graduates of the programme have embraced their responsibility to lead and set high expectations for the next generation.
- Students in their first year of study at the University of Pretoria and University of Cape Town are eligible to apply for the Dell Young Leaders Programme.
- Financial aid students are nominated by the respective institutions for the bursary, and students are then invited to apply to the programme.
How to apply
For further details on the Dell Young Leaders Programme, please contact our offices at:
University of Cape Town
Tel: 021-650 4147
Email: [email protected]
University of Pretoria
Email: [email protected]