The Chinese Government is offering scholarships for South African students to study at Chinese institutions starting in the 2016/17 academic year.
The scholarship may be awarded for undergraduate (Bachelors) in the identified scarce skills, postgraduate (Masters or PhD) or non-degree Chinese language studies. Preference is given to applications for postgraduate studies.
Criteria and Eligibility
– South African citizens in good health with a strong academic record.
– Available to study in China from September 2016 (no extensions will be allowed).
– Demonstrated interest in China and commitment to the development of South Africa.
– Applications from all qualified candidates in any field will be accepted, but priority will be given to applications for postgraduate studies, previously disadvantaged applicants and applicants in the following fields:
- Chinese language studies
- Climate change
- Engineering sciences
- Human and social dynamics
- Maritime Studies
- Natural and physical sciences
- Nuclear and renewable energy
- Space science and technology
All students must meet the minimum academic requirements for entry into a similar programme at a South African university.
Guidelines for education requirements and age limits:
- Chinese language studies (non-degree) – National Senior Certificate (or equivalent) with a university entrance pass (a minimum of 60% average is recommended) – (Under 35)
- Doctoral degree – Master’s degree (a minimum of 65% average is recommended) – (Under 40)
- Master’s degree – Bachelor’s degree (honours) (a minimum of 65% average is recommended) – (Under 35)
- Bachelor’s degree – National Senior Certificate (or equivalent) with a university entrance pass (a minimum of 60% average is recommended) – (Under 25)
The Chinese Government provides the following:
- Registration and tuition,
- Shared accommodation in the international dormitory on campus,
- Living allowance
- Medical insurance
The South African Government provides the following (subject to the availability of funds):
- One return economy airfare
- Monthly living allowance equivalent to R2,000
- Once-off settlement allowance equivalent to R3,000
Successful scholarship applicants will be required to sign a contract and return to South Africa upon completion of studies.
Table of Contents
How to apply
[otw_shortcode_button href=”http://www.dhet.gov.za/internationalscholarships/CHINESE%20GOVERNMENT%20SCHOLARSHIPS.html” size=”medium” icon_position=”left” shape=”round” color_class=”otw-red” target=”_blank”]Click Here To Get Application Forms[/otw_shortcode_button]
Applications close on 11 March 2016. Click here to apply
Enquiries: phone: 012 312 5287 or email: [email protected]