North-West University (NWU) has three campuses namely, Mafikeng Campus, Potchefstroom Campus and Vaal Triangle Campus.
The NWU is a multi-campus university with a footprint across two provinces. The Mafikeng and Potchefstroom Campuses are situated in the North-West Province and the Vaal Triangle Campus is in Gauteng. The head office, known as the Institutional Office, is in Potchefstroom, situated near the Potchefstroom Campus.
The NWU officially came into being on 1 January 2004 as part of the South African government’s plan to transform higher education. In our case, this saw a historically white university and a historically black university merging to create a new university where South Africans from all walks of life have come together.
The historically black university was the former University of North-West, whose students were mostly black people from rural communities. The historically white university was the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education, whose students were mostly white Afrikaans people from Christian backgrounds. A third party was the Sebokeng Campus of another mainly black university, Vista, whose staff and students were incorporated.
Their coming together to form the North-West University (NWU) was a strong symbolic act of reconciliation and nation building – and a highly effective one. The transition to the unified NWU has been hailed as one of the most successful and stable higher education mergers in South Africa. Each year since the merger, the NWU has produced a healthy financial surplus, improved student pass rates, increased research output and risen in the corporate governance rankings for South African universities.
This stability reflects the culture of consultation at the NWU, our clear vision, values and mission, our effective governance and leadership, and the well-defined strategic and operational plans we have made to take the NWU into the future.
How to Apply
- Study Information
- Admission Requirements
- How to apply online
- Online Application
- Application Form pdf
- Postgraduate (Masters & Doctorates studies)
Vaal Triangle Campus:
Table of Contents
This Campus has five academic faculties with a total of 14 schools and various centres.
Agriculture, Science and Technology
– School of Agricultural Sciences
– School of Environmental and Health Sciences
– School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
– Centre for Applied Radiation and Technology
Commerce and Administration
– Graduate School of Business and Government Leadership
– School of Management Sciences
– School of Accounting
– School of Economic and Decision Sciences
– Centre for Business and Management
– Municipal Leadership Training Academy
Human and Social Sciences
– School of Human Sciences (including Programmes in Theology)
– School of Social Sciences
– School of Postgraduate Studies and Research
This Campus has eight faculties with more than 30 schools and centres.
– School of Physical and Chemical Sciences
– School of Biological Sciences
– School of Geo- and Spatial Sciences
– School of Computer, Statistical and Mathematical Sciences
– Centre for Business Mathematics and Informatics
– Centre for Environmental Management
– Centre for Human Metabonomics
– School of Chemical and Minerals Engineering
– School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
– School of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
– Industrial Engineering
– Electromechanical Engineering
– School of Biokinetics, Recreation and Sport Science
– School of Pharmacy
– Subject Group – Physiology
– Subject Group – Nutrition
– Subject Group – Consumer Sciences
– School of Psychosocial Behavioural Sciences
– School of Nursing
– BHSc in Occupational Hygiene
Unit for Open Distance Learning
This Campus has two faculties with seven schools.
Corner of Albert Luthuli
and University Drive
Tel: (+27 18) 389-2111
11 Hoffman Street
Tel: (+27 18) 299-1111 /2222
Vaal Triangle Campus
Vaal Triangle Campus
Hendrik Van Eck Blvd
Tel: (+27 16) 910-3111