The Centre for Health Policy (CHP) and the Centre for Health Systems Research & Development (CHSR&D) are committed to building capacity in health policy and systems research. We offer a supportive environment that emphasizes mentorship and skills development.
We are offering THREE research internships (one year) to prepare for entry to a three-year PhD programme, supported by a NRF SARChI bursary.
Two interns will be based at CHP at Wits, one at CHSR&D at the University of the Free State. The interns will be provided with supervisory support to develop a PhD application as well as gain experience by participating in existing research projects. The topic areas under which the interns are likely to work are one of the following: quality of health (Free State-based), digital health, and community-based mental health care.
The successful candidate(s) will be highly motivated, with a strong interest in health equity and social justice. S/he will be passionate about research, with some prior experience and an eagerness to learn new methods and approaches.
- All candidates are expected to have a relevant Master’s degree (e.g. public health, sociology, political science, development studies, economics)
- knowledge of public health, health systems or health policy will be an advantage, including the topic areas listed above.
- Applicants must be South African citizens or permanent residents in South Africa.
- Good writing and conceptual skills,
- Be able to work well in a multi-disciplinary team.
How to Apply
To apply, all of the following should be submitted to Bahihah Mohamed ([email protected])
- a covering letter identifying why you are interested in the position, including whether you wish to be based in the Free State or Gauteng.
- a detailed CV, including contact details
- names and contact details of 3 referees
- copies of degrees/diplomas
- a short piece of recent written work, or publication, on which you are the first author.
Please write “pre-PHD intern” in the subject line of your email. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Closing date: 14 February 2020
Enquiries to (please don’t send applications to these email addresses)
Jane Goudge (Wits)
011 717 3445; 083-616-0041;
Michele Engelbrecht (Free State)
051 4012181; 083-304-8182