Table of Contents
General Assistant – (1311)
University of the Western Cape – Bellville, Cape Town, Western Cape
Full-Time | General Work
Closing date yi 5th ka June 2022
- Applicants are invited to apply for the General Assistant position.
- The applicants should be capable of interacting with the general public, students, lecturers, and researchers.
- Compliance with Environmental Laws, Occupational Health and Safety, and University of the Western Cape policies is important.
- Grade 12 with a minimum of two years experience in the nature reserve and nursery operations.
- Experience in veld maintenance, species identification, and handling (fauna and flora)
- Experience in plant propagation, alien clearing, and herbicide usage
- Experienced power tool (chain saw, brush-cutter, etc.) operator
- Physically fit and willing to work irregular hours (weekends and public holidays when needed)
- A valid Code EB driver’s license
- Comfortable in nature and able to work on your own and as part of a team
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to deliver excellent work under pressure
- Veld, plant and animal management in a nature reserve and nursery
- Maintenance and construction of roads, fire breaks, infrastructure, and fencing
- Safe operation and maintenance of vehicles and machinery e.g. chainsaw, weed-eater / brush-cutter, power tools, etc.
- Manage store-rooms and maintain equipment/tools
- Conduct road and fence patrols
- Plant identification, indigenous (fynbos) plant propagation, and nursery maintenance
- Assist researchers and do community programs
- Alien plant eradication through herbicide application and mechanical removal
- In your application, you are encouraged to highlight your strengths and also include anything else that you feel may be pertinent to the selection panel.
- Please attach your covering letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and highest qualification to your online profile.
To apply for this job please visit uwc.hua.hrsmart.com.