The University of the Free State are inviting Matric students to apply for the Star of Stars Competition, for studies at UFS in 2022, in ANY field of study. Students who are residing in the Free State province, who are top achievers in academics and leadership, and/ or involved in community projects, should apply.
Students will be evaluated and selected based on 3 main categories: academic performance, leadership achievements, and community involvement. Recipients will receive prize money, personal development, and exposure.
10 finalists will be selected after a thorough judging and evaluation process. The Star of Stars competition winner, as well as the finalist with the best individual achievement and the finalist with the most spirited personality will be announced at a prestigious gala dinner, at the start of the 2022 academic year.
MORE ABOUT THE UFS STAR OF STARS BURSARY COMPETITION – SELECTION & AWARDING OF BURSARIES
- Top 20 finalists will be announced on 25 September 2021 and will be invited to a weekend during the September school holidays.
- Top 20 finalists who are selected in September 2021, must achieve a minimum AP score of 34 in their Matric finals.
- Top 10 finalists will be required to attend the Star of Stars weekend and the gala event in February 2022.
- The Star of Stars winner will be announced during a gala evening in February 2022.
- Bursaries and prize money will be paid in 2022 after the student registers to study at the UFS.
- Top 10 finalists will be required to sign an agreement that they will study at the UFS in 2022.
- Transportation will be provided for the top 10 finalists for the Star of Stars weekends, to and from Bloemfontein.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UFS STAR OF STARS BURSARY COMPETITION
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be currently in Matric in the 2021 academic year
- You must be residing in one of these 5 districts in the Free State province: Fezile Dabi, Lejweleputswa, Motheo, Thabo Mofutsanyana and Xhariep
- You must be attending school in the Free State at a Quintile 1, 2 or 3 school (Dinaledi school, township school or rural school)
- You must have a strong academic record and a top achiever
- You must have applied to studying at the University of the Free State for the 2022 academic year, before the competition closing date (* see notes below)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UFS STAR OF STARS BURSARY COMPETITION
Download and completed the UFS Bursary: Star of Stars Competition Application Form (.pdf)
Alternatively, application forms can also be collected via one of these methods:
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Grade 11 final results (certified copy)
- Matric March and June results (certified copy)
- Grade 11 and Matric leadership achievements (distinguish achievements acquired in Grade 11 and Matric, specifying your highest achievements and level of participation, including achievements received in school, regional, provincial, national and international)
- Grade 11 and Matric community involvement and other (distinguish achievements acquired in Grade 11 and Matric, specifying your highest achievements and level of participation, including achievements received in school, regional, provincial, national and international) (example: community involvement, volunteering, exchange student, expos, olympiades etc)
- Motivational letter explaining why you deserve to be chosen for the bursary competition (approximately 500 words)
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
Star of Stars
Student Recruitment Services
PO Box 339
2) Hand delivery:
Student Recruitment Services
Wekkie Saayman Building
c/o Rector and Graduandi Avenue
NOTES ABOUT THE UFS STAR OF STARS BURSARY COMPETITION
1) Read How to apply to study at UFS (.pdf)
2) Read UFS closing dates for various fields of study (.pdf)
3) Please contact UFS to confirm that your application form was received (via telephone: 051 401 3000 or email: [email protected] / [email protected])
4) The application form MUST be signed and stamped by your school principal (to confirm that all details on the form are correct).
5) Incomplete application forms will be disqualified.
6) Only submit the relevant letters, certificates or other proof of provincial and national achievements.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UFS STAR OF STARS BURSARY COMPETITION
31 August 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact UFS directly:
Tel: 051 401 3000
Email: [email protected]