MMEG is offering a bursary programme to female students from South Africa, USA, Canada, and Trinity Washington University. The award covers ALL fields of study, towards a Certificate, Undergraduate, Graduate or PostDoctorate qualification, at specific Universities.
The goal of the MMEG grant is to help women from developing countries, in order that they may further their studies and thereby improve the lives of women and children in these countries. MMEG is one of the few organizations that provides financial assistance, specifically to women.
MORE ABOUT THE MMEG BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
MMEG provides a grant of up to US$7000 (about R99 000), however grants may vary depending on the availability of funds and exchange rates. The grant funds will be awarded annually in January and February.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a telephonic interview within 2 to 3 months after the application deadline. The successful candidate will be announced in early April on MMEG’s website. Results will be announced in mid December 2021.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MMEG BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African national (nationals from the following countries may also apply: MMEG Country Eligibility List)
- You must have a study permit for South Africa, if applying from one of the eligible countries linked above
- You must identify as a woman
- You must be 25 years old or older at the time of the application deadline
- You must enrolled to study towards a Certificate, Undergraduate qualification, Graduate qualification or PostDoctorate studies
- You must be enrolled at one of the following accredited Universities in South Africa: University of Cape Town, University of Stellenbosch, University of the Witwatersrand, University of Pretoria or University of the Free State
- You must be enrolled full time or part time (with at least 2 courses per semester or term)
- You must aim to be fully enrolled for a complete academic term after receiving the bursary
- You must be enrolled for at least 1 more academic term (from January to July 2022)
- You must NOT be related to an International Monetary Fund, World Bank Group, or Inter-American Development Bank spouse or staff member
- You must be born before 15 September 1996
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE MMEG BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: Margaret McNamara Education Grants (MMEG) Bursary Application
You will be required to Register an Account before you can Login and apply.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
Please ensure that these documents are readily available when applying – preferably in pdf, jpeg or png format.
- ID document with photo (if a South African citizen)
- Passport with photo (if studying outside your home country)
- Study permit page or visa page with current passport (applicable to foreign candidates)
- Second passport page with photo (if in possession of dual citizenship)
- Proof of official registration at a university (on institutes letterhead)
- Latest academic reports and transcripts (on institutes letterhead)
- Brief details on your personal story, brief details about your studies, as well as how your experiences and future plans are connected to your commitment to helping women and children in developing countries
- Brief paragraph explaining an estimate of your financial situation for the academic year and how you plan to fund your financial needs
- Brief summary of your thesis, including objective, methodology and findings, and how to relates to your career goals (if applicable)
- 2 reference letters:
- 1 reference letter from a faculty member at your university and 1 from someone who can vouch for your character (this can NOT be a family member)
- At least 1 of the referees must have known you for 2 semesters/ equivalent, or more
- The reference letters must include the referees’ email addresses so that they can be contacted and provided with an email link from Embark Online where they can submit their recommendations
- If the candidate is successful, they will then be contacted by Embark. (If your referee has NOT received an email from Embark, ask them to verify that the pop-up blocker is off; check their spam folder, and/or write an email to MMEG to request an individual link.)
CLOSING DATE FOR THE MMEG BURSARY
14 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact MMEG directly:
Email: [email protected]