Durban University of Technology (DUT) has seven campuses namely; ML Sultan Campus, Steve Biko Campus, Brickfield Campus, Ritson Campus, City Campus, Riverside Campus and Indumiso Campus.
With approximately 23 000 students, the Durban University of Technology (DUT) is the first choice for higher education in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). It is located in the beautiful cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg (PMB). As a University of Technology, it prioritises the quality of teaching and learning by ensuring its academic staff possess the highest possible qualification that they can get.
The Durban University of Technology is a result of the merger in April 2002 of two prestigious technikons, ML Sultan and Technikon Natal. It was named the Durban Institute of Technology and later became the Durban University of Technology in line with the rest of the universities of technology.
DUT, a member of the International Association of Universities, is a multi-campus university of technology at the cutting edge of higher education, technological training and research. The university aspires to be a “preferred university for developing leadership in technology and productive citizenship”, and to “making knowledge useful”.
As a butterfly develops from a pupa, so have the students at our institution. From the moment they register as green freshers, to their capping at the hallowed graduation ceremony, our students undergo an intellectual evolution.
Our academic schools and departments are organised into six faculties.
Faculty of Accounting and Informatics
- Auditing and Taxation
- Finance and Information Management (Midlands)
- Financial Accounting
- Information and Corporate Management
- Information Technology
- Management Accounting
Faculty of Applied Sciences
- Biotechnology and Food Technology
- Clothing and Textile Studies
- Food and Nutrition Consumer Sciences
- Maritime Studies
- Mathematics, Statistics & Physics
- Sport Studies
Faculty of Arts and Design
- Drama & Production Studies
- Fashion and Textiles
- Fine Art and Jewellery Design
- Media, Language and Communication
- School of Education
- Video Technology
- Visual Communication
Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
- Architectural Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Surveying
- Construction Management and Quantity Surveying
- Electrical Power Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Town and Regional Planning
- Urban Futures Centre
Faculty of Health Sciences
- Basic Medical Sciences Department
- Biomedical and Clinical Technology
- Chiropractic and Somatology
- Community Health Studies
- Dental Sciences
- Emergency Medical Care and Rescue
- Medical Orthotics and Prosthetics
Faculty of Management Sciences
- Applied Law
- Business Studies Unit
- Entrepreneurial Studies and Management
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Resources Management
- Marketing and Retail
- Operations and Quality Management
- Public Management and Economics
- Public Relations Management
How to apply
Planning a successful career at DUT doesn’t have to be a vague dream. We help prospective students make it a reality.
Are you having trouble deciding what career you would like to follow? We have developed a Career Decision-Making page – designed to take undecided learners through the career decision-making process in a systematic and user-friendly manner.
We hope that the information provided will enable you to make an informed decision about applying to DUT. To help you get the most out of the information provided, here are a few key points you should bear in mind:
- Identify the course you wish to study. Programmes offered can be found in the Department Handbooks.
- The minimum entrance requirements for admission to the DUT for a South African applicant is a Senior Certificate or a recognized equivalent qualification. Over and above the minimum entrance requirements, each department also sets specific entrance requirements.
- With effect from 1 January 2009 the following are the entrance requirements :
- a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training provided that a minimum of 4 recognised NSC 20-credit subjects must be passed.
- These four subjects must:
- include English with an achievement rating of 3 or better;
- not exceed 2 official languages; and
- have an achievement rating of 3 or better, in accordance with the NSC levels of achievement below:
- International applicants are required to check the International Brochure for detailed information on the admission process.
- Apply online at the Central Applications Office (CAO). (A prospective student who wishes to study at the DUT must apply via the CAO.)
Please complete the CAO application form, and attach certified copies of your identity document and Grade 12 certificate (or final Grade 11, June/ Trial Grade 12 report if you have not written your final examination). The application form must reach the CAO office before the closing date of 31 October. Please refer to specific programmes for relevant closing dates, as some programmes close earlier than 31 October. Include the appropriate application fee of R175 (for 2013) (non-refundable) when submitting your application form. Make sure that your application AND fee reach the CAO before the closing date. Submission of a completed application form does not imply that you have been accepted as a student, or that you may register. All applicants will be notified, in writing, of the outcome of their application. The CAO provides an on-line appliction facility. Kindly consult the CAO webpage at www.cao.ac.za
Call Centre: 0860 10 31 94 (sharecall)
Durban Switchboard: 031 373 2000
Midlands Switchboard: 033 845 8800
E-mail: [email protected]
P O Box 1334, Durban 4000
Tel: 031 373 2553 (Dbn)
Tel: 033 845 8890 (Midlands)
Admission Contact Details for National Diploma
Durban – Student Admissions
Call Centre: 0860 10 31 94 (sharecall)
Switchboard: 031 373 2000
Midlands – Student Administration Enquiries
Ms Bandu: Management Science
033 845 8815
Ms Tshabalal: Education & Civil Engineering
033 845 8951