Location: Cape Town
Remuneration: R404 686 total cost to company per annum
Employment type: 3-year fixed term
The purpose of this position is to Sonke provides sub-awards to external organizations as part of its project implementation activities and provides funding to these organizations for project activities. The Sub-Awards Specialist will be responsible for managing the sub-award process with a focus on reducing risks to Sonke by assessing the partners’ ability to implement the project, manage funding and to work with project managers to monitor sub-recipients and assist with capacity building.
- Sub-award review:
- Review donor requirements for sub-award management and develop a plan to ensure compliance with donor requirements;
- Review proposed sub-award budgets and programme activities to determine if budgeted amounts and timelines are appropriate.
- Sub-award assessments:
- Review and update sub-recipient pre-award assessment tools and operating procedures to ensure tools are appropriate;
- Determine the most appropriate and cost-effective method of conducting the pre-award assessment;
- Conduct pre-award assessments for each sub-award and determine risk rating for each sub-award;
- Establish monitoring and follow-up requirements based on the results of the pre-award;
- Conduct pre-award assessments based on donor and Sonke’s operating procedures;
- Determine appropriate sub-award mechanisms for contractual agreements with partners;
- Work with the project manager to identify where capacity building or technical assistance is required;
- Work with sub-recipients to address high-risk issues from the pre-award assessment;
- Monitor, develop and implement corrective action plans for sub-recipients; and
- Conduct follow-up post-award assessments to keep assessment ratings current.
- Training and capacity building:
- Provide orientation to sub-recipients on management of funds, processing of documentation and reporting, as well as preparations for audits;
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to address risk in relation to pre-award assessments and project deliverables; and
- Provide training to Sonke staff on sub-award management procedures.
- Sub-award implementation and monitoring:
- Review financial reports from sub-recipients, ensuring accuracy and supporting documents are provided;
- Monitor sub-award spending against budget to ensure sub-awards are not overspent and variances in spending are not excessive. Ensure variances are explained and documented;
- Monitor sub-recipients’ compliance with terms and conditions of sub-awards;
- Make recommendations and take action in instances of non-compliance to reduce risks to Sonke; and
- Obtain donor authorizations for specific project issues such as procurement of equipment and travel.
- Sub-award close out:
- Manage close-out process of sub-awards including timely submission of final reports by sub-recipients;
- Review final reports and ensure timely submission of final donor reports;
- Obtain donor authorization for disposition of equipment and ensure documentation is obtained for transfer of equipment; and
- Arrange for safe-guarding or transfer of files in possession of sub-recipients related to the sub-award.
- Filing, reporting and compliance:
- Ensure sub-award files are complete and accurate, including documents on pre- and post-award assessments, signed sub-award agreements, budgets, narrative and financial reports & audit reports;
- Provide timely and accurate donor reports to appropriate staff and to donors;
- Ensure procedures are in place to comply with donor and Sonke compliance requirements;
- Participate in regular sub-award meetings; and
- Maintain a sub-award schedule detailing all compliance issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline. Advanced degree would be advantageous.
- Minimum 5 years equivalent experience in a similar capacity in grant management or sub-award management;
- Preferably 5 years NGO experience;
- Excellent computer skills, with high proficiency in Microsoft Office, Pastel Evolution, and Excel;
- Strong multi-tasking & problem-solving skills with the ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to balance multiple tasking simultaneously whilst meeting deadlines;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize time and work effectively;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Pays attention to detail, displays a high level of integrity, able to multi-task, is deadline driven; and has
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Interested applicants should submit their CV, a motivational letter that details your experience, the contact details of three referees, and this completed one page template https://genderjustice.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Sonke-Employment-Application-Form.docx via email to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit at [email protected].
- For non-South Africans, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs, and employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Salary is negotiable dependent on experience & qualifications. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 30/09/2020, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Application Deadline: Monday, 31 August, 2020