Table of Contents
Manager: Secretariat and Governance
Rhodes University – Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
Full-Time | Administration
Closing date 6 June 2022
- To strategically develop systems and processes in order to ensure the provision of an efficient, professional and quality administrative and secretariat support services to University Committees and governance structures of the University as required.
- A Bachelors’ Degree is required (preferably in Administration) plus approximately 6 years’ relevant experience where such experience includes:
- Excellent written English language skills in report and minute-writing.
- Previous experience in a Secretariat and Governance function, preferably within a Higher Education environment.
- Previous experience working with committees including the scheduling and organizing meetings and a track record of doing so efficiently; the preparation of agendas for meetings; taking minutes of meetings; meeting deadlines with a track record of doing so.
- Previous administrative experience within a computerised administration environment which includes good organisational and planning skills as well as problem-solving and time-management skills.
- Experience working with large volumes of work.
- Track record of using technology to create efficiencies and improve service.
- Track record of continuous improvement.
- Previous supervision/management experience of at least three years.
- Experience in website content management is an advantage.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Professional competencies
- People and communication skills
- Administrative skills
- Management skills
- Work behaviours
Strategic Leadership And Support – 10%
- Provide strategic leadership for the Secretariat.
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies, processes, procedures and systems that will ensure efficient and effective secretariat support to the University committees and other governance structures of the University. This includes exploring the use of technology and modernisation of processes as an ongoing concern.
- Ensure the setting of long-and short-term goals in line with the overall objectives of the division.
- Ensure the ongoing integrity of all procedures followed by the secretariat in line with the university committee structure and rules and the Higher Education Act 101 of 1997.
- Attend meetings with section heads to report on secretariat matters, and ensure that information from these meetings is disseminated to the secretariat members when required.
- Assist the Registrar in preparing the Council’s and Council Committees’ work-plans for the year.
- Oversee and implement timely drafting and distribution to all Committee members of the electronic and hardcopy (if required) agenda and supporting documents for university committee meetings.
- Oversee and implement the necessary organisation for all meetings managed by the Secretariat.
- Assist the Registrar in drafting a review of Council’s work annually.
- Maintain membership of the National secretariat forum
Secretariat, Governance and Administrative Responsibilities – 50%
- Ensure that members of Council and Council committees and members of the Board of Governors and its sub-committees are kept informed of dates, times and venues for meetings.
- Ensure smooth operation of Council and its committees and Board of Governors and its sub-committees.
- Provide secretariat support to the University Council and its Committees.
- Oversee the induction of new members of the Board of Governors and of Council and Council committees., Senate and Institutional Forum.
- Arrange the logistics for the meetings of Council and its committees, including booking venues, ensuring that venues are appropriately set up with any necessary equipment (including media and other information technology), and arranging any necessary catering or other special needs.
- In support of the Registrar and the Chair, take responsibility for the compilation and drafting of agenda for the meetings of the University Council and its committees and Board of Governors and its sub-committees.
- Write the minutes so that they are an accurate record of what happened at the meeting.
- Ensure that the Chairs of Council and Council committees and Board of Governors and sub-committees check the draft minutes, which are thereafter circulated as Unconfirmed Minutes to the members of Council and Council committees and Board of Governors and sub-committees.
- Ensure timely preparation, confirmation, distribution to members and filing of minutes of meetings.
- Ensure that decisions of Council and Council committees are communicated to the relevant persons, sections or Divisions of the University for implementation.
- Maintain a register of conflicts of interest of members of Council and its Committees and Board of Governors and its sub-committees and advise the Chairs in respect of any real or potential conflict of interests arising for members.
- Maintain and, where necessary, update the membership record and registers for Council and its committees and the Board of Governors and sub-committees.
- Ensure the maintenance of addresses and e-mail lists to support the governance and committee work of the Secretariat including but not limited to Council and Board of Governors membership; distributions for Council and Board of Governors papers (electronic and hardcopy as required) to members and Administrative Staff.
- In support of the Registrar, undertake all necessary actions in relation to the filling of membership vacancies on Council and its committees and the Board of Governors and its sub-committees.
- In support of the Registrar, inform members of Council, Council Committees and Board of Governors of all necessary information about all relevant information such as terms of reference, standing orders, and relevant policies.
- Conduct elections, voting and appointment processes as and when needed for Council and Council committees, and as and when required for external bodies.
- Oversee the preparation of annual Diary of principal meetings and terms dates of the University.
- Take responsibility for the provision of the university calendar on a yearly basis. Ensure timeous submission of relevant information for publication in the University Calendar, including the regular updating of the Calendar as a ‘living document’ on the Rhodes University website. Liaise with the printing unit on quotes, etc
- Provide Council information for the University’s Annual report.
- Ensure that terms of reference of all university committees including Council, Council Committees and Board of Governors are regularly reviewed and updated and brought to the attention of all members.
- Conduct reviews of Council work in line with the governance scorecard and indicators.
- Prepare reports related to Council as required from time to time.
- Update and provide FICA information on Council, Council Committees and Board of Governors as and when required.
- Conduct research, source and verify information on behalf of the Registrar, assisting with analysis of such information in relation to the higher education sector or beyond (policies/contracts/etc.).
- Assist with university committee meetings as required.
- Efficient, error-free and timeous organisation; strategize implemented to maximise use of time; accurate completion of tasks, professional preparation of documents including drafting, editing and collation of data.
- Efficient service provided. Accurate preparation of documents, drafting, editing, typing, photocopying and collating methodically. Neat and quality conscious. Meet with strict deadlines.
- Preparation of an ‘action minute’ 48 hours after the sitting of a meeting, including oversight of committees not directly serviced by the incumbent.
- Assist the Registrar with the review of the Statute and Institutional Rules as and when required.
- Ensure the update of the Committee membership booklet.
- Ensure secretariat services to Senate, Senex and such Senate committees and other committees of the university
- Ensure the organising of chairperson’s circulars where needed.
- Ensure the setting up and administration of various election processes pertaining to Senate, Faculty Boards and Honorary degrees amongst others as may be required.
Management of the Section – 25%
- Motivating for appropriate resourcing of the Section / Sub-Section (staff, budget, facilities, equipment etc.) given the processes and structures of the institution and ensuring efficient use of resources.
- Organising of the activities and services of the Section / Sub Section in terms of resourcing provided by the institution.
- Ensuring the provision of a quality service by the Section / Sub-Section including the evaluation of the services of the Section.
- Ensuring that there are appropriate structures and processes in place to provide the necessary service and there is co-ordination and integration of the different structures/processes/jobs within the section/sub-section.
- Ensuring that appropriate targets/goals are set for the work of the section and for staff of the section/sub-section.
- Monitoring performance of individuals and that of the section against these targets.
- Oversee the update of all standard operating procedures of the secretariat
- Performance management of the direct reports including the: –
- Selection of staff
- Induction and training of staff
- Motivation and recognition of staff
- Managing of performance including disciplining of staff who are not performing
Overall Record Management Responsibility – 10%
- Develop and review an archiving policy for the Registrar’s Division.
- Ensure appropriate record-keeping of the work of secretariat and providing a repository for all committee minutes, including those not serviced by secretariat.
- Ensure that all university policies are referred to Council for final approval, or that the policy owner is informed after the relevant meeting the status of the policy (for corrections/re-submission, etc). Advise the relevant policy owner and the Institutional Planning Unit when policies are approved.
- Work with Cory Library in the archiving of university records.
- Update registers of dates of meetings and approved policies.
- Ensure an effective and functioning archiving system (both electronic and hardcopy) for meeting records, including approved minutes of the University Council, Council Committees, Senate and Senate Committees and other governance structures of the University.
Management and Oversight of Major Events – 5%
- Manage and oversee the arrangements for the academic procession at graduation ceremonies and inaugural lectures.
- Manage the preparation and finalisation of the graduation programmes.
- Manage and oversee the arrangements for the Vice-Chancellor’s and SRC President’s addresses at opening of Orientation Week.
- Assist at inaugural and special lectures as required.
- It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted.
If you have any questions or experiencing challenges on the system, please contact Siyabonga Duba on 046 603 8899 or submit your application to [email protected]
- Failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered.
- The selection process that will be followed for this post includes a short-listing, followed by an interview.
- The Full Minimum Requirements against which candidates are to be measured are outlined in the job profile.
- Shortlisted candidates will be informed of the interview date.
- All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
- This post is advertised as permanent post, but the University may opt to appoint on a fixed-term contract of not less than three-years.
- The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post.
- An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
- Please apply online by accessing the Rhodes University Website.
- Candidates should note that Rhodes University has introduced a Covid-19 vaccine mandate and that staff members are required to conform to the University’s conditions in this regard.
- If you are not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Download Full Vacancy
- Basic salary per annum: R569 727
- Total Cost to Company per annum: R749 492
To apply for this job please visit webapp.placementpartner.com.