The Oppenheimer Memorial Trust (OMT) are inviting students to apply for the OMT Postgraduate Scholarship for the 2022 academic year. Each year, the OMT award scholarships for postgraduate studies (at Master’s, Doctoral and Postdoctoral level), to students with excellent academic records.
Students are invited to apply at 3 intervals each year, depending on the semester they require funding.
MORE ABOUT THE OMT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & RENEWAL
The value of the scholarship will depend on the students personal circumstances – however, it is not a full-cost scholarship and students are required to apply for alternate sources of funding to cover outstanding fees.
Scholarships are awarded for one academic year at a time and renewals are not automatic – they will be renewed based on academic performance and compliance with the OMT’s reporting requirements and re-application procedures.
The maximum duration of funding varies according to the level of study:
- Masters students may receive up to a maximum of 2 years of funding (exceptions can be made for Master’s students who are upgrading to PhD studies)
- Postdoctoral students may receive up to a maximum of 2 years of funding
- PhD students may receive up to a maximum of 3 years of funding
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE OMT SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen OR a foreign national
- You must have an excellent academic record
- You must be studying towards a postgraduate qualification (Master’s, Doctoral or Postdoctoral)
- You must be studying at a public Higher Education Institution within South Africa
- You must NOT be studying towards a second degree at the same level as one you have already completed
- Preference will be given to students pursuing Doctoral and Postdoctoral studies
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE OMT SCHOLARSHIP
Students who meet the eligibility criteria, may apply for the OMT scholarship by submitting clear copies of the following documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
These documents must be submitted in Word format only – not in PDF
- 1) Motivational letter (describing: your background, schooling, interests, personal philosophy, career goals, and short to medium term plans and priorities) (this must be a signed statement of maximum 500 words)
- 2) Updated Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages)
- 3) Details of intended studies, including:
- 3.1) Proof of registration/ offer and terms of admission
- 3.2) Name and designation of your supervisor, if known
- 3.3) Brief description of the degree, programme of study, selected institution and duration of study
- 3.4) Brief description of proposed course work, field work, dissertation topic and a synopsis of the “intellectual problem or idea”
- 3.5) Explanation of how your study is relevant and how the work will further current knowledge on the topic
- 3.6) How the study with benefits you personally, as well as how it will benefit the South African academy and broader community
- 4) Budget: applicants must submit a personal income and expenditure budget indicating the following (on this template: OMT Budget Template):
- 4.1) Income from all sources (including employment/ savings/ family contributions/ loans/ other bursary or scholarship offers/ other awards: ensure that you distinguish between funds already received and pending funds)
- 4.2) Estimate of annual study related costs (including tuition fees, books and living expenses
- 4.3) Estimate of direct research or project-related costs and related funding, as these expenses will NOT be covered (to be stated on a separate schedule)
The following documents must also be submitted under a separate cover:
These documents must be submitted in PDF format
- Recent photograph (size: 3 x 4 cm)
- 3 references (their names and designations)
- Full academic record/ transcript
- Degree certificates (certified copies)
- * Reference Reports/ Letters of Recommendation: from references who are familiar with your current work and study plans and can attest to your academic achievements (these signed letters or reports must be submitted seperately and with confidentiality to the Trust via the email address below)
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: [email protected]
(Insert the words “OMT Scholarship – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THE OMT SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must inform the OMT about all applications made for other funding, bursaries or scholarships.
Applicants must inform the OMT about outcomes of other funding requests as listed on their budget.
The scholarship will be awarded at the discretion of the Trustees, based on merit.
Candidates who do not comply with the OMT’s requirements and procedures will be disqualified.
CLOSING DATES FOR THE OMT SCHOLARSHIP
30 September 2021 (for studies starting in January to March 2022).
31 January 2022 (for studies starting in April to June 2022).
31 March 2022 (for studies starting in July to September 2022).
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Oppenheimer Memorial Trust (OMT) directly:
Tel: 011 551 9500
Email: [email protected]