Company : Black Sash
Location : Mowbray, Cape Town, South Africa
Closing date: 27 November 2021
Black Sash: Internship Programme 2022
The Black Sash is looking for a candidate who is committed to human rights, access to justice, development and empowerment; with integrity, honesty and respect for confidentiality. A person, who can work in a team, is transparent, accountable, consultative and embraces the values, vision, strategies and policies of the Black Sash. A candidate who is able to think pro-actively, creatively and responsively and is prepared to work hard, under pressure and to deadline.
The core responsibilities of the one-year paid internship starting in January 2022 will be to provide support to the Black Sash Advocacy Unit, made up of the National Advocacy, the Education and Training, and the Media and Communications Managers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Engaging in draft socio-economic related legislation and policy with the view to making comment on it,
- Keeping abreast of local and international social security developments with measures implemented to address the consequences of the pandemic,
- Compiling summary reports on socio-economic issues, including basic income support, public finances and digitisation,
- Assisting with drafting documents; writing opinion pieces, and popular education material and policy position papers
- Providing support for training and information events including planning, recording, and reporting,
- Engaging with community-based organisations and social movements with a view to strengthening the Basic Income Support campaign,
- Providing support and input for the development of a media and social media strategy and content for programme work and advocacy campaigns, and
- Assisting with media monitoring, paying particular attention to news reports concerning Black Sash programme work and socio-economic rights in general.
- Recent graduate from a tertiary institution (any qualification)
- History of community service
- Good command of spoken and-written English and at least one other South African language
- Willing to travel